Monday, May 28, 2007

Surrender

Over the past few days, I’ve had to surrender my Mommy card! Kevin’s parents were here for an extended Memorial Day weekend and times like these are always a little tough on me. Instead of being Harmon’s Mom 24/7, I have to step back and let go. In lieu of being an overbearing, over involved Mom, I kind of try to be invisible. Of course, this approach then can look like I’m an uninvolved, uninterested Mom but, either way, I can’t win. The best way I can explain this is that I have to stop being Harmon’s Mom COLD TURKEY and it's HARD.

On Friday, I was out running my usual errands – errands I typically run WITH Harmon. And, because I was alone, it seemed that everyone I saw had their adorable sons with them. If you’ve ever seen Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, I felt like Pee Wee Herman right after his bike was stolen. Everyone he saw had a bike – everything from a tricycle to a motorcycle!

As a Mom, I don’t take a lot of “me” time. In fact, my idea of “me” time is the 45 minutes or so I spend eating breakfast and reading the internets on weekend mornings. But, just to clarify, I don’t WANT a lot of “me” time. I love being with Harmon and we’re really never apart. So, when I am forced to step back and let go, it truly feels like a part of me is missing.

No comments: