Thursday, February 26, 2009

A shout-out to my oldest

During my maternity leave with Harmon, Kevin would come home at the end of each day and I would pepper him with questions about his meetings, phone calls, conversations with co-workers, etc. Basically, I was STARVING for conversation and any kind of link to the outside world. Thinking about it now, that was probably the most difficult part of my time off – being alone all day with a baby that really couldn’t interact with me. Frankly, it was lonely.

I was expecting that again during my time off with Simon but it didn’t happen because of Harmon! While certain times were indeed challenging, Harmon made all the difference in the world. He kept me company, he was my partner and helper in caring for Simon, he would give me a much-needed hug or kiss at totally random times, he kept me stimulated and on my toes and, most of all, he made me laugh so much every single day. He is such a great kid (and a great big brother) and so funny and so smart (sometimes a little TOO smart). I know I could not have done it without him.

I had a great 12 weeks with both of my boys and this made it so hard to return to work. When I look back on my leave THIS TIME, I’ll have the best memories of taking care of and being with my precious boys. It’s a shame it only lasted three months – Moms and Dads should definitely get MORE time!

No comments: