Tuesday, December 18, 2007

R2 to A2

Yesterday, Michigan introduced its new football coach, Rich Rodriguez (with tie, inside a snow-covered Michigan Stadium). I think I’m still in shock (in a good way) as I didn’t see this coming. I knew he was a good coach but I figured he would never leave West Virginia – a place where he was born, raised, attended college, met his wife, had kids and coached for years. It’s ironic that Rodriguez gave up all those things to come to Michigan when Les Miles wanted nothing but to return to Michigan – the place where he did most of those same things (with the exception of being born and raised in Ohio).

I’m cautiously optimistic about this hire, although it’s no secret that Miles was my first choice. I like that Rodriguez is young and fiery and that he is an offensive genius, credited with inventing the spread offense. I like that he will bring a fresh perspective to a program that really needed it. I like that he will bring in his own coaches (maybe a special teams’ coach, pretty please, and maybe a new strength and conditioning coach too). I also am excited about what I will see on the field and, hell, if he can win at WV, it seems he can only do better with the talent and resources at Michigan.

However, there are things that worry me too. WV played in a weaker conference and had looser academic standards so adjustment will be an issue. Also, will Michigan’s personnel fit his offensive scheme? He has no ties to Michigan and that scares me a bit when it comes to the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. Actually, the last coach that came from the “outside” was John Cooper and he proceeded to go 2-10-1 against Michigan (yikes). I worry that it’s TOO much change and Michigan will end up like Nebraska. I also worry that, if he does have success at Michigan, he will leave when a better opportunity (college or NFL) comes along. If he left his whole life back in WV, leaving Michigan won’t be a big deal at all. My last worry – does he really want to be at Michigan – came to realization today. I read that, at first, he told Michigan no before he said yes and that he left WV because of some issues with the athletic department (some changes he wanted that hadn’t been made yet). To me, this seems like taking your ball and going home but who knows.

Obviously, I love my alma mater (my son is named Harmon for Christ’s sake) and I want Rich Rodriguez to be a great coach that will take Michigan football to a whole new level. I truly hope this happens. But, if it doesn’t, I’ll look back on this info and forever be sad:

Gary also had some really interesting things to say about the Les Miles’ deal. He talks to Les regularly as the lead color guy for the SEC and he claims that Les would have "taken $100,000" to coach at Michigan. He went on to explain that Michigan didn't really want Les Miles and it was unfortunate that Miles didn't even get a change to alleviate Martin's concerns about him as a possible Head Coach at Michigan. Les wanted Michigan but Michigan didn't want Les, only time will tell if this was a bad decision by Michigan but always understand this … Les was the best man for the job. Les Miles was a Michigan man who left Ann Arbor to learn more, expand his recruiting base and add to the Schembechler tradition, too bad he wasn't given the chance to prove it.

Quoted from: http://gregghenson.typepad.com/gregg_hensoncom/

No comments: