Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11: Where were you?

Today is September 11 and, five years ago, the meaning of this day changed forever. There have been books and movies and countless other forms of media recounting this day. And, no matter how you feel about the actual events of this day or the events that have followed, it's hard to deny how that bright, sunny morning changed so many things in this world. As with so many historical events, you remember exactly where you were when the attacks happened. Here is where Kevin and I were on that day:

Aimee: I was working at OnStar (yuck) and had an unusual 8 a.m. marketing meeting that day. When we all got back to our cubicles, word started to spread about what was happening. Immediately, I tried to contact the few friends I had in NYC without even thinking that everyone else in the world was doing the exact same thing. Later in the afternoon, I had been in touch with each of them via e-mail and they all were fine - thank God. Of course, no work was getting done as people either were e-mailing and calling loved ones or watching the carnage on TV in our cafeteria. After a few hours of this, we all were told we could go home, which I did. And, I stayed home the next day too. Not because anyone I love had been involved but just because everything was too hard to digest and it was nearly impossible to concentrate. When I did return to work on Thursday, I remember my bitch of a boss commenting that she had been able to get so much work done that last couple of days because no one was around. Maybe it was just the way I felt at the time but this comment still sticks with me as one of the coldest things I've ever heard. Anyway ...

Kevin: I was on my way up to Lansing for a meeting at a TV station to discuss a television commercial for my then-employer, the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan. I was listening to Drew and Mike on the radio, and just like most TV and radio outlets that a.m., they were reporting that a small plane had hit the World Trade Center. And, like many who heard that, I figured it was just a small aviation accident. Soon after I arrived at the station, I learned that a second plane had hit and it was no longer a coincidence. I don't really even remember what business I accomplished there that day in what was one of my final outreach duties at the foundation. But, I do remember one person in the newsroom saying over and over that he was sure the towers would fall. Sure enough, moments later, the first tower crumbled and we all stood there in silence. Our apartment in New Hudson was between Lansing and Ann Arbor, so I think I stopped there for an hour or so to watch the TV coverage. I really don't remember driving there, just stunned by the news that not only were the towers hit, but also the Pentagon (allegedly) and another plane down in Pa. I knew history was happening, but I don't recall an event like that in my life since the first space shuttle explosion when I was in high school. It was one of those events that you just sit and watch the footage over and over again in disbelief. Like Aimee, I had a feeling work would still be important, so I drove back to Ann Arbor for the second part of the day. What a mistake. A few people mentioned it, but like OnStar, it was just business as usual. I watched TV well into the night that night. Even though most of the TV stations have vowed to not show much of the footage anymore, a few of the documentaries aired this week have shown that first incredible video. CNN is documenting its first three hours or so of coverage on two links on its Web site. Blame who you want for this happening, but I agree with many that we (the U.S.) got caught with our pants down. Too bad thousands of people paid with their lives.

No comments: