Friday, August 11, 2006

Words I hate

On the way into work yesterday morning, I heard a radio ad which included the word "morsel." I turned to Kevin and told him I didn’t like that word and he gave me an exasperated look. He then said, "there are SO many words you hate that you should just make a list and post it somewhere." So, I thought, what better place than our blog. Here is a partial list of words or phrases I hate. I'm POSITIVE there are more but here's what I've got so far (in no particular order):

Morsel; moist; fresh; succulent; veggies; robust; fragrance; luscious; panties; creamy; fixins' (or any other word that is supposed to end with "-ing" but people end with "-in" instead); comfort food; buttery; slacks; ciao; fabulous; medley (like vegetable medley); soft drink, soda or soda pop (it's POP, damn it); brunch (hate the word and hate the whole idea); Italian (with a long stress on the "I" – said like EYE-talian); asparagus tips (can't it just be asparagus?); to die for; hoity toity; narthex; malk (it's MILK); tasty; vehicle (with the heavy stress on the "h"); meal; and scrumptious.

In addition to the words I hate, here is a partial list of other things I hate:
People who chew ice or hard candy; people who talk with their mouths full (like the resident of the White House – as if I could hate him more); people who make mouth noises (sucking, loud gum chewing/popping, sloshing, gulping, sipping, etc.); people who hold their cup of coffee with two hands like it's a damn hand warmer; people who enjoy their food way too much (and make grunting, moaning, "What about Bob" noises while they eat it); people who "want a bite" of other people's food; people who put an "s" on the end of any store, restaurant, etc. (like Krogers, Meijers, Farmer Jacks, Ruby Tuesdays, JC Penneys, etc.); Walmart; Pepsi; and Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly and other clowns like them.

And, while we're at it, he's a list of obnoxious mispronounced words:
Chimley (chimney); irregardless (regardless); breafas (breakfast); nucular (nuclear); orientate (orient); lacksadaisical (lackadaisical); athaletic (athletic); expecially (especially); realitor (realtor); supposably (supposedly); expresso (espresso); terrists (terrorists); and strategery (strategy).

Lastly, here are a few words or phrases I DO like:
Cat's pajamas; go bananas; scurvy; jobbie nooner; broad; whore; youngster; choco (for chocolate); poppie (for pop); fool; clown; apeshit; lollygag; shenanigans; antics; creep; Internets/interwebs; and jibber jabber.

OK ... so ... enough of that. If you haven't watched this yet, you should. And, check out this and this, just for old time's sake!

No comments: