Sunday, June 25, 2006

Weekend update

Friday was my usual day off with Harmon and we spent a lot of it in Target getting things he needed, especially Stage 2 foods. I got him nine different fruits and nine different vegetables to try and I am so excited to see his face when he tries things like Banana & Orange Medley (even though I hate the word “medley”). So, that was the excitement that was my Friday! My parents had a much better Friday as they went to see the Tigers beat the Cardinals, 10-6. I got my Dad tickets for Father’s Day and he was SO excited to go. My Mom said there really was no point in her being there as he talked baseball with a group of guys from St. Louis almost the entire game. They had a great time and I’m so glad they won when my Dad was in the park. He’s suffered through way too many bad Tigers teams over the last 10 years!

On Saturday, I got a great new haircut and then Harmon attended his first wedding. My cousin got married and we traveled 85 miles EACH WAY (the last 5-10 miles being DIRT ROAD) to attend. All I can say is that I wish I had my Saturday back as it was absolutely gorgeous outside – DAMN!

Today, we took Harmon to his first baseball game. Kevin’s St. Louis Cardinals were in town to face my Detroit Tigers so we thought it would be a great first game for him. He could be exposed to both teams and then decide which one he likes later. Of course, my parents cheated a bit by getting him his first Tigers’ hat when they were at Friday night’s game. We got there early; although because of ALLEGED construction on I-94 at Haggerty it wasn’t early enough to get a Placido Polanco bobble head!

We had great seats as we splurged a bit after missing Opening Day this year. Harmon seemed to have fun as he was smiling at everyone in the stadium but I think it was a bit loud for him at times. The Tigers have been so bad for 10 years that we all have to adjust to the noise levels in Comerica Park! We chose a great day to go as it was blue skies all over and the temperature was in the high 70s. We were in the shade, too, which was perfect. The game was great – a pitcher’s duel of 1-1 until the eighth inning. In the bottom of the eighth, the Tigers broke open the game for three runs and ended up winning 4-1 (no, Todd Jones didn’t blow the save). Today’s game completed a three-game sweep of the Cardinals and the Tigers now sit at 51-25, the best record in baseball. But, at this exact moment, only a half game ahead of those damn Chicago White Sox (do they EVER lose?). This whole development is stunning to me considering just three years ago they had to win on the last day of the season to avoid the worst record in the history of baseball.

Anyway, after the game, Harmon was in a much better mood and we were able to get some good photos – even one of the three of us which never happens. Overall, I think he had a good time. And, for future reference, the Tigers do a lot of kids activities on Sundays so, as he gets a little older, it looks like that will be the day to be at the ballpark.

In other news, Kevin and I are taking some vacation time this weekend to extend the Fourth of July holiday. Because of Kevin’s good planning, we’ll both be out of the office for five days. Not sure what we’re going to do yet (money, of course, is always the factor) but there are a ton of house projects on the list. We might even try to check out the new IKEA store in Canton. It opened about three weeks ago so maybe the crowds will have diminished some. Even if we don’t do anything, it will be fun just to hang out together. We haven’t done that for more than a few days since Harmon was just a few weeks old. Ah, the good old days!

No comments: